Monday, January 14, 2013

Reflection on Christmas: Thanks Cindy Lou Who

Photo Source: http://doodlecraft.blogspot.ca
Over the holidays we watched one of our favorite movies “The Grinch Who Stole Christmas”.  I’ve always enjoyed the movie for various reasons including the lesson that Christmas isn’t about material gifts.  This year, for some reason, I couldn’t get over that. 

Every year we question ourselves:  Are the presents big enough?  Is there enough food?  Is there enough this, or enough that, big enough, unique enough, tame enough, entertaining enough… are we enough?

This year, as Christmas approached, I really thought about Cindy Lou Who.  She was the little girl who had trouble finding her Christmas Spirit, just like I did.  The thought running through my head this year was, what am I teaching my children?  Is this the legacy of Christmas that I want to pass on to my children?  The answer is not just no, but HELL NO!

We did cut back a little this year but not nearly enough.  This was cemented in me by the extremely thoughtful gifts my mother gave to me and my children.  This year my parents are struggling financially so they didn’t have the extra funds to buy extravagant gifts but my mother loves to craft.  I found this year’s gifts to be perfect for us.  She not only took the time to make them herself but she also thought long and hard about what to make us.  The gifts weren’t useless junk but things we wanted, needed, or enjoyed.  The best part – the kids LOVED them.

Next year I hope to cut back even more and find a charity that my children can not only give to, but be a part of.  Hubby took all of winter break off so we could do family activities and it was then that we really got into the spirit of Christmas.  So the lesson I learned is that Christmas is better when we focus on our family and not whether we’re enough.  Thanks Cindy Lou.

How do you get into the Christmas Spirit?

Take Care, D

0 comments:

Popular Posts

If you like this blog, vote for it by clicking a button below
Vote For Use @ Top Mommy Blogs