Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Gluten Free Oatmeal Bars

We have been making our own “granola” bars for a while now.  When we discovered Hubby and R’s sensitivity to gluten, I was very worried about how I was going to make sure they still had grains in their diet.  The bars that we make are good but I find them overly sweet.  I wanted to try something else.
 
I found an Oatmeal Dark Chocolate Granola Bar recipe from www.fannetasticfood.com for what seemed more like an Oatmeal-to-go type bar.  it wasn't set out as a gluten free recipe but I could see how easily it could be converted.  So I tried it out.  It was fantastic and I loved the cake-type consistency.  R had enjoyed the Oatmeal-to-go bars before we realized his intolerance so I thought this would be a nice bar for him but I wanted to incorporate more grains so I modified it.  He still loves the bar and he’s getting more out of it.
In the recipe below I will include my additions but would love to hear your variations.  Unfortunately I am not very imaginative when it comes to grains and I’m sure nuts could be added too, except R takes it to school which is nut-free.  Try it, let me know what you think.
Oatmeal Granola Bars

Ingredients:

Dry:
3 cups gluten free oats
1 cup flour mix
4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups of grains, dried fruit, seeds, chocolate, etc.
I chose ¼ cup each of flaxseed meal, chocolate chips, sesame seed, corn meal, dried cranberries, whole grain rice puffs, whole grain quinoa puffs, and sunflower seeds.

 
Wet:
½ cup honey
3 cups of skim milk (would like to try with almond milk)
2 eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
In Mixer bowl, combine dry ingredients and mix until combined.  In a separate bowl whisk the wet ingredients.  Pour the wet ingredients into the dry while mixing until well blended.  Pour the batter into a 9x13 greased baking pan.  Bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Cut into bars and allow to cool on a rack.

Enjoy!

Take Care, D

0 comments:

Popular Posts

If you like this blog, vote for it by clicking a button below
Vote For Use @ Top Mommy Blogs