Sunday, July 17, 2011

Summer Learning

I have been hearing from many different sources that children lose a large percentage of what they’ve learned over the past school year during the summer months.  I am concerned about this as both my children have made great progress this school year and I really don’t want them to lose that.  I am not a homeschooler, nor do I have any education to support teaching children but I need to do something.  I have been quite active in R’s Kindergarten class so I am confident that I could support his learning through the summer and have developed a plan to do so.  I am not looking to teach him anything new, simply re-enforce what he’s learned and maintain that level.  My plan thus far is as follows:
Every Day:  Bedtime story read to R, Journal Writing, and Physical Activity (gross motor work)
Monday:  Language Arts – Have R read a book at or below his level then do activities that lend themselves to that book.  Social Studies – discover a new country, learn one word from their language, review an interesting building, discuss an interesting custom and review their location on the globe, comparing it to where we live.
Tuesday:  Math – Do a page from a math workbook or flashcards and play a math game.  French – sing a French song, play a French game, or watch a French DVD.
Wednesday:  Language Arts – Have R read a book at or below his level, then do activities that lend themselves to that book.  Science:  Conducting experiments and reviewing science in our daily life.
Thursday:  Math – Do a page from a math workbook or flashcards and play a math game.  French – sing a French song, play a French game, or watch a French DVD.
I don’t want to overdo the lessons and jam-pack our days because then I won’t stick to the plan.  I think I can do this and still get my work and errands around the house done.  Mostly, I’m hoping it will be enough to maintain his level of education.
Now C is another matter completely.  Going into the ninth grade, I’m not as aware of what she is learning.   At this point in her life, parents are often the enemy and when I ask anything about school, she immediately treats it as an attack. This means discussions often turned into arguments and we find out very little of what she’s doing.  I am planning to review her report card comments from her teachers to see where they feel she needs work since we mostly focused on where she exceled at the end of the year.  Another obstacle is that she is gone for the month of July.  Any ideas?
Take Care,
D

Blog Hops:  Check out these blog hops by clicking on the button then following the rules to find some great blogs.  Don’t forget to leave comments wherever you hop so participants can hop by your site.  Thanks for hopping by!
The Not-So-Secret Confessions of a First Time Mom         

4 comments:

SondraMama
July 18, 2011 at 1:57 AM

Stopping by from a Monday Hop! I am your newest follower via twitter @sondramama =] Please stop by my blog and follow back =] Thank you and have a nice week!
- Cassondra / Mama's Passions

Delaney
July 18, 2011 at 5:48 AM

This is such a great plan! I've taken a few education courses in college, and it is indeed true that children lose a lot of what they learn over the summer!

Good Girl Gone Green
July 18, 2011 at 9:21 AM

That is a great idea! I have heard that many parents try and do some fun schooling during the summer! In about 5-6years I may try that. Happy Monday!

S Dupree
July 18, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Hi,

Im a new follower! I've been giving my daughter weekly math assisgnments (she's not so good in math) to keep her focused.

Love the blog.

iphonemom.blogspot.com

Popular Posts

If you like this blog, vote for it by clicking a button below
Vote For Use @ Top Mommy Blogs