Monday, June 20, 2011

Gluten-Free Focaccia Bread

When this came out of the oven I was so excited, I had to share it with you all.
We discovered that Hubby is Celiac a few months ago when we tried an Atkins type diet.  We cut out most starches but had one cheat night per week – usually when we ordered in.  On those nights, Hubby would complain of pain while I would nod empathetically with my mouth full of food.  We originally thought it was just because we had gotten used to not having so many carbohydrates but that didn’t make sense because I had cut them out too and was not in any pain.  In fact, I was blissfully happy to eat all my favourites to my heart’s content because it was cheat night.  One day it occurred to Hubby that it might be the gluten.  His sister is Celiac, they have a cousin who is, and they feel it is quite likely that their father was – though undiagnosed.  So we began trying carbohydrates without gluten and TA DA…no pain.  Since then we have been searching for recipes to replace some of his favorites.  Until now, we couldn’t find anything to replace buns for things like hot dogs, hamburgers, philly cheesesteaks, etc.  Our small, remote city, has very limited resources when it comes to gluten-free products but we have Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Flour.  I looked on their website and found a cookbook by Carol Fenster, Ph.D. called 1,000 Gluten-Free Recipes. 
After purchasing this book I flipped through the pages and found the Focaccia Bread recipe.  I made a few modifications to match my ingredients and my *cough* level of expertise *cough*.  Now, I’m not an master baker or anything of the sort so I don’t have any fancy pans or tools but a cake pan I can do and cutting into rectangle buns works for me.  Here’s my modified recipe.  To find the original recipe click on the link to purchase Carol’s book.
Bread
4½ tsp active dry yeast (I use 1.5x the yeast due to my elevation-recipe calls for 3)
4 tsp sugar
1 c warm (110°F) water
White Rice Flour for Dusting
3 c Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Flour
3 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp dried Rosemary
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
4 large eggs (room temp)
4 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp cider vinegar
Topping
3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp dried Rosemary
1 tsp Italian Seasoning

In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water.  Cover with clean towel and set aside to foam.  Line a 13x9-inch cake pan with wax paper then spray with olive oil cooking spray.  Dust the bottom and sides lightly with rice flour.  Heat oven to 200°F then turn off oven.  In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, xanthan gum, rosemary, onion powder, and salt.  Turn over dry ingredients with wooden spoon or spatula until well blended.  Add eggs, oil, vinegar, and yeast-water mixture.  Beat with mixer on low speed until thoroughly blended.  Increase mixer speed to medium and continue beating for 30 seconds or until dough starts to thicken slightly.  Dough will be quite soft and sticky.  Ensure oven is off but still warm.  Transfer dough to pan.  Spread dough to edges of pan with a wet spatula – may need to re-wet often to spread without sticking.  Try to spread it evenly.  Place pan into warm but turned-off oven until about double its size.
While the dough is raising, place the topping ingredients in a bowl.  Once the dough is raised, take it out of the oven.  Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.  Brush the topping gently onto the top of the dough to cover.  Bake about 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and firm.  Remove from oven and cool focaccia in pan about 10 minutes on a wire rack, then remove from pan and wax paper then allow to cool for another 10 minutes.  Then cut with a serrated knife.

Take Care,
I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
D
 I purchased these products on my own as a regular consumer and was not asked to review or advertise for any of these products.  All opinions are my own and not those of the companies within.  The recipe has been modified from original and should not be reflected in any way upon the original however, the original is available for purchase herein through a third party which I cannot comment and am not to be held liable for any delivery, payment, or product as it is completed through that particular third party.

1 comments:

mamawee
June 20, 2011 at 11:59 AM

new follower from the blog hop!

Popular Posts

If you like this blog, vote for it by clicking a button below
Vote For Use @ Top Mommy Blogs