Thursday, April 7, 2011

A Performance, A Freebie, A Bathmat, and A Craft. Oh My!

Mom’s Corner
I am so proud of my girl, C.  Last night we went to her school play of “The Pied Piper of Hamlin”.  She was the Pied Piper and she was amazing.  This was her first play and I could not believe she was the same girl who left our house an hour before that performance.  She was in character, focused, well-spoken and did not let any errors bother her.  This is the same girl who stormed off stage after her Piano Recital last fall because she couldn’t remember the rest of the song although no one would have been the wiser had she not huffed and puffed her way back to her seat.  I am very impressed at her emotional detachment and her ability to laugh at herself afterward when she told us of the error she made.  I really should give her cast mates, crew, and especially the teachers who volunteered their time to make this happen their own kudos because it was very well put together and it even kept the children in the audience entertained.  R was very proud of his sister too and kept saying how C was now famous.  We had a little party happening when C got home and R was playing Pied Piper with his cousins.  C even mentioned how she hadn’t realized how “influential” she had been.  I could spend the day telling you of how wonderful a person she is growing into but I think she’ll probably be angry that I posted about her at all so I’ll cut it short (although I think, secretly, she might just be a little boosted by an internet review).
Sanity Check
There are a lot of things I like to do for myself and find it not only allows an escape but also gives me an avenue to release some extra energy and tickles my creative funny bone.  Things like digital scrapbooking, knitting, crochet, card making, and other practical crafts.  I must admit, I’m not so talented that I could sell my things but it’s the process the helps me.  My friends and family haven’t complained about the things I’ve given them yet…although they probably wouldn’t just so they don’t hurt my feelings – they’re awesome like that.
Looking through some blog posts this morning, I found a couple things that peaked my interest.  First, a freebie.  Who doesn’t love a freebie?  The people over at CraftGossip.com have found digital scrapbooking freebie of 4 layered templates.  I love the versatility of this template.  You can use them as is or rotate them for whole new looks.
MamaCrafts.com also posted about turning an old towel into a bathmat.  I’m so excited about this idea.  We often use our old towels as bath mats but before company comes over (or as they come through the door) I race into the kids bathroom to replace their ratty towel on the floor for a nicer bathmat.  I find that towels work better at keeping the floor dry and are easier to wash but they’re U-G-L-Y.  This little tutorial is a way to keep the better functionality of the towel as well as reusing (good for the environment) and still maintain a trendy look.
Time for Kids
Yesterday my son, R, asked me when the worms come out.  We still have some snow on the ground but with milder temperatures during the day (we’re getting to 12 degrees C today!) the snow is quickly melting away.  It will still be a while until we see some worms but I thought this might be a good time to do a Caterpillar/Butterfly unit in our home studies.  We can learn some springtime words in French like printemps (Spring), chenille (caterpillar), and papillon (butterfly).  We can read Eric Carle’s “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” which R loves.   Now that R knows the story so well, I can substitute the French words for the characters to reinforce the vocabulary.  We can make some caterpillar and butterfly crafts while we discuss the various stages of the caterpillar lifecycle.  Look for some of these crafts in upcoming posts.
The first craft is the beginning of the cycle…we created a caterpillar plant ornament so the caterpillar can lay its eggs on the leaves of our plant. We used various sized pompoms and glued them together with the largest one being the head with the rest making up the body, then we glued on the eyes.  We chose to use little pompoms but you could use googly eyes if you have them.  We then took some bamboo sticks (for making kabobs) and I hot-glued them to each end of the caterpillar body.  R played with the caterpillar for a while because using the bamboo sticks, he could make it move and wave and that was so much fun.  He even acted out several parts of our story with it.  Now it is spending time in our plant so it can lay its eggs on it.  I also found a little poem that R had a lot of fun acting out when he was very little.  I’ll leave you with the poem and his video.

Creepy Crawly Caterpillar
Creepy crawly caterpillar that I see.
Makes a chrysilis in a tree.
It stays there and I know why.
Soon it will change to a butterfly!


 

Take Care,
D

0 comments:

Popular Posts

If you like this blog, vote for it by clicking a button below
Vote For Use @ Top Mommy Blogs